Hello Friends and Family
ACTION: I am looking for nominations (self nominations encouraged) for the new leader, supporters, and followers of Democracy Digest. One person will become the Team Leader and the rest of the supporters will help that person as they see fit, such as via an advisory role, or guest posts on the facebook wall. If instead you want to follow, you can start by liking the facebook page (link below).
There is too much at stake for us to not organize. Are you in?
* In 18 days California is going to decide (among other things) if the Democratic National Committee is fairly leading the party or if it needs to check itself.
* In the next year the US will decide if Trump will prevail. (In May 1999, I thought it was near impossible that Bush would win…)
* In the next decade society will decide if we are serious about common sense, like the Paris Agreement, or if our animal brain and all its vices will continue to destroy our home, and its diversity of life.
Democracy Digest was started after our System Failure in 1999, in which Gore won the popular vote, but corruption and cheating in over a dozen states (that were each led by a Republican Secretary of State) allowed it to be close enough to be decided by one person…. DDigest was a consistent e-mail service for about 7 years, then at around digest number 84 it decelerated in frequency. Somewhere in the recent years a facebook page was initiated, but not fed or promoted. Now is the time to rev back up, to a higher level. But my career now focuses on a very specific angle for preserving our home and life, and is non-partisan. So for time and career reasons, I cannot lead. It is high time to pass the torch.
Speaking of which, I need to get back to work, so, quick logistics.
1) The strawman strategy for year one is represented by the below message from Robert Reich. It will be fine tuned later.
2) If you are interested in leading, supporting or at least in following, please indicate so at https://www.facebook.com/Democracy-Digest-174604329294730/ which, yeah, needs work, and may get a new name, or e-mail me.
3) What is involved in "leading"? That will be answered by the new leaders. I have very little time for the torch pass. I’ll commit to organizing and facilitating an initial real-time rendezvous online and/or phone. And will suggest that the standing commitment is minimal, like a once a year real-time rendezvous of all leaders. In this call we’ll also choose the Team Leader, or the process for choosing that person.
So again, I ask, are you in?
To a better world!
From Robert Reich in Facebook:
Many of you who support Bernie ask me what you should do at this point. My suggestion:
1. Continue to work like hell for Bernie, especially given upcoming primaries in California and New Jersey on June 7. Putting aside superdelegates, the difference between him and Hillary Clinton isn’t huge. So far, Bernie has won nearly 10 million votes and has 1,499 pledged delegates. Hillary Clinton has won 13 million votes and has 1,771 pledged delegates. California could make a huge difference.
2. Don’t demonize or denigrate Hillary Clinton. If she wins the Democratic nomination, I urge you to work like hell for her. She’ll be the only person standing between Donald Trump and the presidency of the United States. Besides, as I’ve said before, she’ll be an excellent president for the system we now have, even though Bernie would be the best president for the system we need.
3. Never, ever give up fighting against the increasing concentration of wealth and power at the top, which is undermining our democracy and distorting our economy. That means, if Hillary Clinton is elected, I urge you to turn Bernie’s campaign into a movement – even a third party – to influence elections at the state level in 2018 and the presidency in 2020. No movement to change the allocation of power succeeds easily or quickly. We are in this for the long haul.
What do you think?